Newark Element14, a division of Avnet, Inc., has introduced a new Raspberry Pi-based add-on board that includes a drag-and-drop programming interface for the iPhone, iPad and Android.
The GraspIO Cloudio developer board includes voice assistant capabilities IFTTT (If This Then That) integration, IoT Cloud Service, sensor monitor and dashboard, custom notifications with image and video and one tap multi-board upload.
Cloudio when combined with a Raspberry Pi is a full stack IoT platform where users can program devices simply and quickly with a drag and drop of a mobile app. The board unlocks physical computing applications with Raspberry Pi through a board that includes a 0.96-inch organic light emitting diode (OLED) display, IR sensor, light sensor, temperature sensor tactile switch, three analog-to-digital converter ports, mini servomotor port for external sensors, three digital output ports, an RGB LED and a buzzer.
Potential applications for the developer board include:
- Voice control — Makers can create voice assistants using the built-in speech recognition feature to control Cloudio from a smartphone. The voice commands can be set to control lights, fans, switches, locks and more from anywhere.
- Speech output — Maker projects can be made to talk with the speak block and the Raspberry Pi headphone jack. Real-time speech notifications and custom messages are possible and can be used to play recorded audio from the board.
- IFTTT integration — Users can create simple applets that use Cloudio’s features as both triggers and actions for connected experiences.
- Sensor monitor and dashboard — The on-board or external sensors can be deployed in an edge device to design intelligent and responsive sensor monitoring projects.
- Camera and custom notifications — The Raspberry Pi or USB camera can be interfaced with the in-application camera block to capture images and videos or to create GIFs and time-lapse videos.