According to a recently released IHS Infonetics Set-Top Boxes report, unit shipments of set-top boxes (STBs) worldwide improved 2% sequentially in the Q1 of 2015, and were up 3% from the year-ago first quarter. “We expect unit shipments of set-top boxes to improve in 2015, but price competition for higher-end devices and growth among less expensive boxes for emerging markets will bring revenue down for the year,” said Jeff Heynen, research director for broadband access and pay TV at IHS.
High Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) dongles, which allow viewers to stream online movies, music, games, photos and apps to a TV using a smartphone, tablet or laptop, are expected to show strong unit growth. HDMI dongles, including Google’s Chromecast, Roku HDMI sticks, Amazon’s Fire TV Stick HDTV, and virtual STBs, will see the highest unit growth of the digital media adapters tracked by IHS, and may siphon away business from over-the-top (OTT) servers.
- The global STB market—including IP/cable/satellite/DTT STBs, OTT media servers, and HDMI dongles—totaled $4.2 billion in 1Q15, slipping 3% from 4Q14.
- IHS expects the number of HDMI dongles sold worldwide to top 27 million units by 2019.
- Cable STB sales fell 2% worldwide in 1Q15, to $1.5 billion, as declines in traditional digital boxes, media players and client devices offset gains in headed gateways and hybrid IP/QAM devices.
- A slowdown of sales in North America was to be blamed for global satellite STB revenue being down 3% in 1Q15 from the prior quarter.
- Arris claimed the worldwide STB revenue market share lead in 1Q15, and is far and away North America’s leading STB supplier to cable operators.
The quarterly IHS Infonetics Set-Top Boxes market share and forecast report track IP, cable, satellite and digital terrestrial (DTT) STBs; OTT media servers; and HDMI dongles. The research service provides worldwide and regional market size, vendor market share, forecasts through 2019, analysis and trends. Vendors tracked include ADB, Apple, Arris, Changhong, Cisco, Coship, DVN, Echostar, Huawei, Humax, Jiuzhou, Kingvon, Netgem, Pace, Roku, Sagemcom, Samsung, Skyworth Digital, Technicolor, ZTE and others.
To contact the author of this article, email email@example.com