Littelfuse Inc. has expanded its silicon carbide (SiC) diodes portfolio to include the 1700 V-class.
The LSIC2SD170Bxx Series SiC Schottky Diodes are available in the TO-247-2L package with a choice of current ratings (10 A, 25 A or 50 A). They offer power electronics system designers a variety of performance advantages, including close-to-zero reverse recovery current, high surge capability and a maximum operating junction temperature of 175° C, so they are ideal for applications that require enhanced efficiency, reliability and simplified thermal management.
SiC Schottky barrier diodes are ideal in a wide range of AC/DC and DC/DC power converters for industry, energy generation and energy distribution/storage, including:
- Industrial switch-mode power supplies,
- Uninterruptable power supplies,
- Battery chargers,
- Solar inverters,
- Industrial motor drives and
- High speed rectifiers.
"Using SiC diodes in power designs instead of diodes based on legacy silicon-based technology helps designers develop more energy efficient power converters, saving energy and reducing costs related to cooling the power electronics," said Francois Perraud, product marketing manager, SiC products at Littelfuse. "They enable the design of faster switching power electronics in the converters which can then be made more compact at the same output power or pack more power in the same volume."
The LSIC2SD170Bxx SiC Schottky diodes offer these key benefits:
- Positive temperature coefficient of the forward voltage for safe operation and ease of paralleling
- Extremely fast, temperature-independent switching
- Dramatically reduced switching losses compared to Si bipolar diodes
- Optimized overall system efficiency