Lighting

Saving energy in hotels through connected lighting and hospitality management systems

04 February 2020
An example of the Interact Hospitality that can help reduce energy consumption in hotels. Source: Signify

A new study by Cundall, commissioned by lighting vendor Signify, shows that mid-scale and luxury hotels can deliver energy savings as well as smart controls by integrating an energy management system.

The hotel industry faces upcoming challenges as a result of the United Nations Climate Change initiative that calls on hotels to reduce carbon emissions by 66% by 2030 and 90% by 2050 in order to stay within the 2° C threshold set by COP 21, a United Nations Climate Change initiative.

Signify’s Interact Hospitality management system allows guest room management on a single dashboard that can help a luxury hotel consume 28% less energy per guest room at 80% occupancy. When in green mode, the system can save an additional 10% energy savings, Signify said.

Hotels are one of the highest energy consumers of the tertiary building sector, which focuses on delivering services. The energy use comes from the fact that most hotels prioritize guest comfort and experience over all else. Yet, hotels are increasingly asking guests to opt-in to less frequent towel changes, to use fewer toiletry items and to use a smart control system that enables guests to have greater control over thermostats.

In the Cundall study, it showed that 65% of energy savings in hotels were achieved by integration between Interact Hospitality and the hotel property management system. The remaining 35% energy savings were achieved due to the real-time occupancy control in the guest room. Interact Hospitality delivers enhanced guest experiences while improving efficiency and saving energy, and connected LED lighting enables mood-enhancing lighting scenes from the lobby, restaurants and ballroom to the guest rooms. The system integrates with other systems such as HVAC and PMS for real-time visibility on one dashboard.

“Commonly used temperature setpoints used by hotels often make guests feel too warm or too cold, marking vast gaps between indoor and outdoor temperatures,” said Jella Segers, global lead for hospitality at Signify. “Working with Cundall, recommendations of temperature setpoint ranges have been created, commonly referred to as adaptive comfort hypothesis.”

To contact the author of this article, email PBrown@globalspec.com


Powered by CR4, the Engineering Community

Discussion – 0 comments

By posting a comment you confirm that you have read and accept our Posting Rules and Terms of Use.
Engineering Newsletter Signup
Get the Engineering360
Stay up to date on:
Features the top stories, latest news, charts, insights and more on the end-to-end electronics value chain.
Advertisement
Weekly Newsletter
Get news, research, and analysis
on the Electronics industry in your
inbox every week - for FREE
Sign up for our FREE eNewsletter
Advertisement
Find Free Electronics Datasheets
Advertisement