Overview / Main Features
The DirecTV model H24 is the satellite TV providers' latest non-DVR high definition (or HD) satellite receiver set top unit. The DirecTV set top [H24-100 analyzed here] features Dolby 5.1 audio output and support for up-coming HD 3D content from the satellite television provider. Additional features (according to DirecTV's website) include:
- Watch and schedule recordings on your HD DVR with Whole-Home DVR service. Learn more
- High definition (mpeg-2, mpeg-4) and standard definition (mpeg-2) enabled. View the best in both HD and SD programming.
- Customize your channel guide with your favorite channels.
- Quickly find what you want to watch. Search by title, actors, channel and more. Even save your recent searches. Learn more
- Seven-day Advanced Program Guide®. Search the channel guide for shows up to 7 days in advance.
- Choose your screen format: full screen, stretched, letterbox, pillar box or crop mode. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i picture output and multiple screen formats supported.
- This DIRECTV Receiver was honored with the 2010 ENERGY STAR® Excellence In Energy Efficient Product Design Award by the EPA.
- Get weather, horoscope, lottery info and more just by clicking the ACTIVE button on your remote.
- Press the red button on your remote to get the scores of all the major games on TV without changing the channel of the game you're tuned in to.
- Take advantage of multiple connection ports: HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite, Optical Audio outputs.
- View and log Caller ID info provided by your local phone company.
- Parental controls/locks: Enjoy peace of mind over what your children are watching by locking out objectionable programming.
DirecTV Satellite TV subscribers
Based on research, the set-top box was first release in 1st half of 2010.
Pricing and Availability
Pricing - As with most satellite TV services, the cost of hardware is typically obscured by the overall service package contract.
Availability - Continental US territories (dependent on satellite coverage)
For the purposes of this teardown analysis, we have assumed a lifetime production volume of 1.8M units.
As a reminder, teardown volume production assumptions are primarily used for our cost analysis in terms of amortized NRE and tooling costs, especially for custom components specific to the model being analyzed (mechanical components especially). Unless assumed volumes are different by an order of magnitude, minor changes in volume (say 1 million vs. 2) rarely have a large net effect on our final analysis because of this.
Cost Notes Main Cost Drivers Representing ~72% of total materials cost
Broadcom - BCM7325RKFSBA33G - Audio / Video Processor - SoC, High Definition Satellite, DVB-S2, 8PSK/QPSK, 333Hz Multi-Threaded MIPS CPU Core, 65nm Process, w/ 1 Integrated Tuner / Demodulator
Spansion - S29GL01GP11FFSS8 - Flash - NOR, 1Gb, 110ns
Apex Circuit Limited - 4-Layer - FR4, Lead-Free
Entropic Communications - EN2210-BG2 - Coaxial Network Controller - MoCA 1.0, Integrated c.LINK MAC/PHY
Power Supply Value Line Item
Remote Control Unit w/ 2x AA Battery
Enclosure, Main, Top - Injection Molded ABS-Polycarbonate, Printed
Enclosure, Main, Bottom - Stamped / Formed Electro-Galvanized Steel, Painted, Printed, w/ 8 Integral Joints
Silicon Laboratories - Si2493-FS - ISOmodem - DAA, V.92, 48Kbps
Elpida - EDE1116AESE-8E-F - SDRAM - DDR2, 1Gb (64Mx16), 1.8V
Elpida - EDE1116AESE-8E-F - SDRAM - DDR2, 1Gb (64Mx16), 1.8V
Enclosure, Main, Top, Inner - Stamped / Formed Electro-Galvanized Steel, Painted
Broadcom - BCM3445KMLGP11 - RF LNA & Splitter
Entropic Communications - EN1212C1 - Coaxial Network Interface IC
Direct Materials + Manufacturing $88.54
What Is Not Included in our Cost Analysis
The total materials and manufacturing costs reported in this analysis reflect ONLY the direct materials cost (from component vendors and assorted EMS providers), AND manufacturing with basic test. Not included in this analysis are costs above and beyond the material manufacture of the core device itself - cost of intellectual property, royalties and licensing fees (those not already included into the per component price), software, software loading and test, shipping, logistics marketing and other channel costs including not only EMS provider and the OEM's margin, but that of other resellers. Our cost analysis is meant to focus on those costs incurred in the manufacture of the core device and exceptionally in some circumstances the packaging and literature as well.
OEM/ODM/EMS Relationships / Manufacturing
According to the latest iSuppli's topical report (Q4 2008) titled "Global OEM Manufacturing and Design Analysis - Set-Top Boxes, DirecTV and Thomson entered into a 5 year development and supply contract in May 2004 by which Thomson would supply receivers and set-top boxes to DirecTV. More recently, Technicolor purchased Thomson and changed the set-top box manufacturer's name to Technicolor.
Country of Origin / Volume Assumptions
Based on markings, the unit was assembled in Thailand. Furthermore, we have assumed that custom mechanicals (plastics, metals, etc. were also sourced in Thailand.
Country of origin assumptions relate directly to the associated cost of manufacturing, where calculated by iSuppli. In the cases of 'finished' sub-assemblies (such as HDMI cables), we do not calculate internal manufacturing costs, but rather assess the market price of the finished product in which case country of origin assumptions may or may not have a direct effect on pricing.
Remember also that labor rates are applied directly only to hand inserted components and systems in our bill of materials, and although regional assumptions do, these new rates do not have a direct effect on our modeled calculations of placement costs for automated SMD assembly lines. ""Auto" inserted components (such as SMT components) placement costs are calculated by an iSuppli algorithm which allocates a cost per component based on the size and pincount of the device. This calculation is affected by country or region of origin as well.
Design for Manufacturing / Device Complexity
The total component count of the DirecTV H24-100 is 1347 (excluding box contents), of which, 1103 reside on the Main PCB.
Component counts have a direct bearing on the overall manufacturing cycle times and costs, and also can increase or decrease overall yields and re-work. Our calculations of manufacturing costs factor counts and more qualitative complexities in the design.
Note that manual labor has a much smaller effect on auto-insertion assembly lines (for the Main PCB, for example), where manufacturing costs are much more capital equipment intensive and driven by these investment costs.
Here is a summary of the DirecTV H24-100 HD set top box design:
- Audio / Video Processor - Broadcom - BCM7325RKFSBA33G, SoC, High Definition Satellite, DVB-S2, 8PSK/QPSK, 333Hz Multi-Threaded MIPS CPU Core, 65nm Process, w/ 1 Integrated Tuner / Demodulator
I/O & Interface
- Coaxial Network Controller - Entropic Communications - EN2210-BG2, MoCA 1.0, Integrated c.LINK MAC/PHY
- Smart Card Interface IC - ST Microelectronics - ST8024CDR
- SDRAM - Elpida - EDE1116AESE-8E-F, DDR2, 1Gb (64Mx16), 1.8V, Qty. 2
- Flash - Spansion - S29GL01GP11FFSS8, NOR, 1Gb, 110ns
- Coaxial Network Interface IC - Entropic Communications - EN1212C1
- Tuner - NXP Semiconductors - CX24113A, Digital Satellite, Single , ZIF, DSS/DVB
- RF LNA & Splitter - Broadcom - BCM3445KMLGP11