TechInsights Teardown: Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K
Streaming has become a huge part of entertainment with just as many people watching services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, HBO Max and others as traditional network and cable television.
Because the popularity of streaming services, gadgets and gear to enable streaming on devices that do not have the capability has equally grown in popularity. These would be mostly older TVs that were created prior to having any Wi-Fi capabilities or they are too old to get updated with the latest streaming services.
Amazon has long been offering its own streaming stick for years now. In 2021, it came out with a 4K version to take advantage of all the new 4K content available to streaming.
The following is a partial deep dive into the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K.
- 1.8 GHz quad-core multimedia processor
- 2 GB mobile LPDDR4 SDRAM
- 8 GB MLC NAND Flash
Target market: Consumer
Release date: October 2021
The main board of the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K contains the bulk of the electronics found on the small gadget with the main processor, memory and other electronic components. Specifically, the board contains:
- Micron’s 2 GB mobile LPDDR4 SDRAM
- MediaTek’s 1.8 GHZ quad-core multimedia processor and power management IC
- Texas Instruments’ 5V eFuse with overvoltage clamp and boost converter
- SiTime’s MEMS oscillator
- SanDisk’s multichip memory — 8 GB MLC NDNA flash with memory controller
- Monolithic Power Systems’ step-down DC/DC converter
The remote board powers the remote control that comes with the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K with the following electronic components integrated:
- Bluetooth low energy IC from Realtek
- A MEMS microphone from Knowles
- A 100 mA step-up DC/DC converter from Torex Semiconductor
- 1 MB serial flash memory from GigaDevice
Manufacturing cost breakdown
- $27.45 — Integrated circuits
- $7.06 — Remote subsystem
- $3.20 — Modules, discretes and connectors
- $2.10 — Component insertion
- $1.56 — Substrates
- $1.07 — Non-electronic parts
- $1.04 — Final assembly test
- $0.78 — Card test