XPeng, a Chinese smart electric vehicle (EV) vendor, claims it has launched the first pilot program for high-level advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) in the country.
Called City Navigation Guided Pilot (City NGP), the pilot is designed to test the ADAS for complex urban driving scenarios. City NGP can now be accessed to P5 vehicle customers through over-the-air updates before launching to other cities.
When activated, City NGP can perform a full range of driving tasks such as:
- Cruising with a safe distance from leading vehicles.
- Changing lanes due to navigation.
- Vehicle overtaking decisions.
- Handling merging/splitting roads.
- Getting around stationary vehicles or obstacles.
- Maintaining an appropriate speed through the driving route.
Additionally, the system can automatically detect and react to traffic lights and inform drivers as it navigates through intersections, roundabouts, viaducts and tunnels.
The system includes a multi-modality sensor fusion framework with cameras, lidar units, millimeter wave (mmWave) radars, high-precision positioning units and other sensor hardware for 360° fusion perception.