Radio frequency (RF) and microwave amplifier design relies upon evaluation of energy output. Key to this task are RF power meters which, like other sensitive electronics, require testing for accuracy.
[Discover RF power meters on Engineering360.]
Among the newest product releases from Bird, a provider of RF products and services based outside of Cleveland, is a power meter display that, according to the company, will transform RF power meter testing. The device, which Bird calls “a giant leap forward,” is a handheld portable meter that captures, collects and displays RF power measurements on a high-resolution, sunlight-readable, rugged touch screen display that allows rapid review of data in both field and lab environments.
The 5000-NG, a replacement for Bird’s previous iteration, the 5000-XT, operates over a broad frequency range using a USB power sensor. Fully digital, it automatically detects the sensor in use and saves session information. In addition to taking RF power measurements, the device offers a “max hold” setting for detecting maximum power and a smoothing level feature for increased reading stability. Bird adds that the intuitive interface of the 5000-NG will ensure rapid learning curve progress for technicians.
- 2 MHz to 6 GHz with external power sensors (not included with device; see Bird’s datasheet for compatible sensor information)
- True average power (forward and reflected)
- VSWR, return loss, rho, match efficiency
- Peak power, peak to average ratio, crest factor, PEP
- Burst and burst average power
- CDF, CCDF, confidence percentage
- IEEE 194 pulse parameters
- Sensor temperature
- Display: Full-color 8 in 1280 x 800-pixel display w/backlight
- Data transfer: USB drive, PC, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth
- Battery Type: Rechargeable, 3.7 V/6200 mAh lithium battery
- Recommended calibration interval: No calibration required (sensor calibration recommended)
- Power supply: AC: 100 to 240 V/50-60 Hz; DC: 5 V/2.5 A
- Upgradeability: Firmware field-upgradable via USB port
- Operating: -20° C to 60° C (-4° F to 140° F)
- Storage: -20° C to 80° C (-4° F to 176° F)
- Altitude: Up to 15,000 ft (4,572 m)
- Size: 9.2 x 6.3 x 1.1 in (233 x 160 x 28 mm)
- Weight: 1.3 lb (0.59 kg)
For more information on the 5000-NG, visit Bird’s product page.