MediaTek has launched two system-on-chips (SoCs) to allow engineers to differentiate and customize 5G smartphones.
The Dimensity 8100 SoC integrates four Arm Cortex-A78 cores with speeds reaching 2.85 GHz and the Dimenesty 8000 has four Cortex-A78 cores operating at up to 2.75 GHz. Both chips are built on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co.’s 5 nm production process with an octa-core CPU.
Both chips combine an Arm Mali-G610 GPU with MediaTek’s HyperEngine 5.0 gaming technologies to extend play time and improve frame rates. Both chips also include quad-channel LPDDR5 memory and UFS 3.1 storage ensure ultra-fast data streams.
The Dimensity 8000 chips include:
- Support for up to 200 megapixel cameras and 4K60 HDR10+ videos.
- Noise reduction and artificial intelligence (AI)-based unblur in low-light environments.
- 3GPP R16-ready 5G modem to boost sub-6 GHz performance using 2CC carrier aggregation.
- UltraSave 2.0 power-saving enhancement suite for improved efficiency.
- Support for Wi-Fi 6E and Bluetooth 5.3.
Additionally, the Dimensity 8000 series integrates MediaTek’s fifth generation AI processing unit, called the APU 580. This allows for performance and efficiency for AI multimedia, gaming, camera and video experiences, MediaTek said.
"MediaTek's big bet on 5G dramatically expanded its global smartphone SoC volumes in the mid-tier, and the Dimensity 9000 is opening up the flagship market," said Avi Greengart, president of market advisory firm Techsponential. "With the Dimensity 8000, MediaTek is giving smartphone vendors more options to balance performance and pricing while still offering flagship level gaming and AI capabilities."