Benchtop performance in a portable oscilloscope? Sign us up!
The 2 Series Mixed Signal Oscilloscope (MSO) from Tektronix Inc. boasts a 1.5 inch form factor and a weight under 4 lb; it can fit into a small backpack and travel seamlessly from bench to field and back. Offering up to eight hours of battery power, the device supports advanced debugging operations within a single instrument: Built-in capabilities include a pattern generator, voltmeter and frequency counter, plus an optional arbitrary function generator (AFG).
The 2 Series also offers the feel of a mobile device, with intuitive debugging. Colored LEDs are used in the design of ring lights around the knobs to indicate active sources or parameters to adjust, and in the design of lights under the buttons to indicate status. A 10.1 inch touchscreen display and a simplified front panel, limited to only the most critical controls, complete the package.
“This breakthrough product was a direct result of our proven growth accelerator innovation process and continued focus on our customers,” said Tami Newcombe, Tektronix president. “Our team worked closely with engineers to deeply understand their unique needs. We cannot wait to see how the 2 Series MSO improves the way our customers work.”
At least one aspect of the device seems squarely aimed at addressing those unique needs: natively integrated software tools that allow engineers to collaborate, troubleshoot and debug designs across time zones. The 2 Series MSO includes the company’s TekDrive workspace in the cloud, where engineers can upload, store, organize and share files from connected devices. Users can also perform analysis on a waveform and save it back to the cloud for immediate viewing and feedback from peers.
Additional product features include:
- Bandwidths from 70 MHz to 500 MHz
- Max sample rate: 2.5 GS/s
- Available with two or four analog channel inputs
- 50 MHz arbitrary function generator (optional)
- 16 MSO channels for testing digital circuits (available with future software release)
- Built-in pattern generator, voltmeter and frequency counter (available with future software release)
- Optional detachable battery pack, providing up to eight hours of power
- Support for a variety of probes to capture a wide range of signals