Juniper Networks has released its top 10 list of trends and predictions expected to take place in 2020 with 5G deployments at the top of the list.
According to the market research firm, in 2020 5G connectivity will start to replace the rollout of fiber networks in remote areas. The high bandwidth and throughput of 5G networks will provide appeal and a cost-effective alternative to fiber, Juniper forecasts.
Other trends include over-the-top (OTT) TV services expanding advertising to the wider digital ecosystems and mobility as a service (MaaS) deployments happening outside of Europe and into North America and Asia Pacific,
The top 10 list includes:
- 5G — Last-mile fiber rollouts to be replaced by 5G connectivity.
- OTT TV — Advertising stakeholders to develop functional attribution ecosystem.
- MaaS — Open data in transportation to drive MaaS beyond Europe.
- Games — Subscription models to flourish in games market, but ‘live’ elements to diminish.
- Netflix — To seek out new sources of revenue growth as competition rises.
- Google — To expand RCS services in Europe.
- Google — To leverage Fitbit health credentials to mount challenge to Apple Watch.
- Huawei — The ban will result in a more uneven 5G network growth.
- Robotics — Consumer robots to launch using subscription models.
- Voice assistants — Security concerns to come to a head, causing trouble for smart homes.
The full research can be found in Juniper’s Top Ten Tech Trends for 2020 report.