Acquired Electronics360

Consumer Electronics

Give Honey for Accidental Button Battery Ingestion

11 June 2018
A new study suggests that children who ingest small portable electronics batteries can be spared serious injury by the ingestion of honey. Source: stevepb/CC0 Creative Commons.

Button batteries – those small, single-cell power-providing devices found in watches, calculators and other small portable electronics – are a serious risk to children who ingest them, which happens more often than one might think.

"Button batteries are ingested by children more (than) 2,500 times a year in the United States, with more than a 12-fold increase in fatal outcomes in the last decade compared to the prior decade," said Ian N. Jacobs, M.D., director of the Center for Pediatric Airway Disorders and a pediatric otolaryngologist at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP). Jacobs served as co-principal investigator for a just-published study on the topic.

Of course, keeping the batteries in a secure container, away from curious eyes and mouths, is the ideal preventative solution. But what if the child has already swallowed the battery? According to Jacobs, there’s an action that should be taken right away: get the child to ingest honey.

"Since serious damage can occur within two hours of ingesting a battery, the interval between ingestion and removal is a critical time to act in order to reduce esophageal injury," Jacobs emphasized.

When the battery reacts with saliva and esophageal tissue, it creates a hydroxide-rich, alkaline solution that is essentially a tissue solvent. This can cause severe complications, such as esophageal perforation, vocal cord paralysis and erosion into the airway or major blood vessels. The longer it takes for the battery to be removed, the higher the risk – particularly for those without access to hospitals staffed with specialized anesthesiologists and endoscopists experienced in removing foreign objects.

Jacobs and his team studied interventions for mitigating these injuries in both a home and clinical setting, testing their effectiveness on laboratory pigs. Specifically, the researchers sought palatable, more viscous liquids that could neutralize harsh alkaline levels and create a protective barrier between the tissue and the battery. They experimented with various options, including common household beverages such as juices, sodas and sports drinks.

According to co-principal investigator Kris R. Jatana, M.D., a pediatric otolaryngologist and director of Pediatric Otolaryngology Quality Improvement at Nationwide Children's Hospital, the most protective effects were found in two substances: honey and sucralfate, a medication used to treat ulcers and GERD. Both had the effect of making the injuries more localized and superficial.

“The findings of our study are going to be put immediately into clinical practice, incorporated into the latest National Capital Poison Center Guidelines for management of button battery ingestions," Jatana said.

"Our recommendation would be for parents and caregivers to give honey at regular intervals before a child is able to reach a hospital, while clinicians in a hospital setting can use sucralfate before removing the battery," Jacobs added. However, the authors caution against using these substances in children who have a clinical suspicion of existing sepsis or perforation of the esophagus; a known severe allergy to honey or sucralfate; or in children less than one-year-old, due to a small risk of botulism.

The new study appears online in The Laryngoscope.

To contact the author of this article, email tony.pallone@ieeeglobalspec.com


Powered by CR4, the Engineering Community

Discussion – 1 comment

By posting a comment you confirm that you have read and accept our Posting Rules and Terms of Use.
Re: Give Honey for Accidental Button Battery Ingestion
#1
2018-Jun-14 11:59 AM

I wish I'd known about this a few months ago when we thought one of the dogs ate a tiny battery (it's a long story) on a Sunday night. Sunday = trip to the emergency vet = co$tly way to find out that the dog hadn't eaten the battery. Should any of you ever need to know, yes, those batteries do show up on x-rays.

Engineering Newsletter Signup
Get the Engineering360
Stay up to date on:
Features the top stories, latest news, charts, insights and more on the end-to-end electronics value chain.
Advertisement
Weekly Newsletter
Get news, research, and analysis
on the Electronics industry in your
inbox every week - for FREE
Sign up for our FREE eNewsletter
Advertisement

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

Date Event Location
11-13 Sep 2018 Novi, Michigan
23-28 Sep 2018 Madrid, Spain
27 Sep 2018 The Reef, Los Angeles
03-05 Oct 2018 Boston, Massachusetts
26 Oct 2018 Old Billingsgate
Find Free Electronics Datasheets
Advertisement