One of the hottest trends in electronics is 5G, the next generation of cellular wireless technology. While the technology launched commercially a short eight months ago, deployment is happening rapidly and much faster than the previous cellular generation, 4G LTE, during the same time frame.
IHS Markit forecasts 5G subscribers to rise to 1.1 billion by 2023 in Asia Pacific and North America. By comparison, five years after deployment of 4G, its subscriber base was just 417 million units.
Since initial deployment, virtually every major wireless maker worldwide has rolled out its own smartphone for 5G. Samsung released its flagship smartphone the Samsung Galaxy S10 5G shortly after initial 5G deployments took place in South Korea, the U.S. and certain parts of Europe. Many carriers picked up the smartphone in order to take advantage of early adopters and others looking for a bump in download speed and higher bandwidth.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus 5G is the Korean electronics giant’s second entry into the 5G market. The phone includes four cameras with 4K capabilities, fingerprint ID, intelligent Wi-Fi for extended range, AMOLED screen and what Samsung claims is the first mobile process built with 7 nm process technology, the Exynos 9825.
- Sub 6 GHz 5G smartphone
- Samsung Exynos 9825 mobile processor built with 7 nm process technology
12 GB LPDDR4X SDRAM, 256GB UFS NAND
- 6.75 inch AMOLED, 3040 x 1440, on cell touch, fingerprint-on-display
- Quad primary cameras (12 MP AF, 12 MP AF, 16 MP FF and ToF), 10MP AF secondary camera
Target market: Mass market
Released: August 2019
Pricing: MSRP $1,160.00
Total manufacturing cost: $485.67
(1) Samsung Semiconductor Inc., primary camera module, S5K2L4 image sensor, 12MP, ISOCELL CMOS, 1/2.55 in format
(2) Samsung Semiconductor Inc. SK3M5 image sensor, 12MP, ISOCELL CMOS, 1/3, .4 in format
(3) Voice coil motor driver IC
(4, 5) Copper foil
(1) Samsung Semiconductor Inc. SK3J1 image sensor, 1-MP, ISOCELL CMOS, 1/3 in format
(2) STMicroelectronics EEPROM
(3) Copper foil
- Apps/baseband processor, multi-mode Exynos 9, Octa-core 1.9 GHz + dual core 2.7 GHz, Mali-G76 MP12 GPU, 7 nm EUV, PoP. Manufacturer: Samsung Semiconductor Inc.
- SDRAM, LPDDR4X-4255, 12 GB, Pop. Manufacturer: Samsung Semiconductor Inc.
- 6.75 in diagonal, AMOLED, LTPS, 3040 x 1440, on-cell touch, flexible and hole display, Pentile Matrix with digitalizer PCB and fingerprint sensor module. Manufacturer: Samsung Semiconductor Inc.
- Flash, UFS NAND, 256 GB. Manufacturer: Samsung Semiconductor Inc.
- Main enclosure, mindframe, machined aluminum alloy, anodized with injection molded glass-filled PBT with 12 gold-plated contracts and 192 spot-welded points, with three insert metals and 23 metal taps, laser etched. Manufacturer: MPN.
- Primary camera module A, dual, 12 MP telephoto + 12 MP wide angle, ISOCELL CMOS, auto focus lens, dual optical image stabilization, 6P Lens + 7P Lens. Manufacturer MPN.
- Baseband processor, 5G multi-mode, multi-band, GSM/EDGE/TD-SCDMA/WCDMA/HSPA/LTE/5G, 10 nm FinFET. Manufacturer: Samsung Semiconductor Inc.
- Bottom cover enclosure, 3D curved tempered glass, single hole with multi-color film Gorilla Glass 6. Manufacturer: Corning Inc.
- RF transceiver, multi-mode, multi-band. Manufacturer: Samsung Semiconductor Inc.