Basic 'business' laptop with Intel Celeron M 1.6GHz processor, 40GB HDD (5400 rpm), CD-ROM 24x Max, 512MB DDR2 DRAM, 802.11 a/b/g, V.92 Modem.
Low-end laptop (Celeron - minimum memory configuration) - entry-level consumer / business portable computer consumers - primarily for web access / wireless and basic PC applications.
Unknown - however the current configurations offered of the NX6310 suggest this model is out of date - since minimum configurations now available are significantly upgraded (processor, hard drive, etc.).
Pricing currently found does not apply to the configuration we were supplied for analysis.
We have assumed a total lifetime production volume for this unit of 4 million units over approximately a 2-year lifetime.
As a reminder, volume production assumptions are not meant to be necessarily 'market accurate', and our meant primarily to be used for our cost analysis in terms of amortized NRE and tooling costs, especially for custom components specific to the model being analyzed (mechanical components especially).
No performance testing was performed.
Country of Origin / Volume Assumptions
Based on labeling - this laptop was made in China. Most modular assemblies were labeled with their respective countries of origin. The list of these countries can be found in the "Overview tab and table in this analysis. Our manufacturing rate for China was applied across the board, since the only assemblies made outside of China were 'self-contained' assemblies which are purchased as finished commoditized product (hard drive, optical drive, etc.).
Manufacturing costs are calculated (modeled) on a per component basis for auto 'pick and place' insertion costs as well as 'hand inserted' assembly costs (all components are in one category or the other). Local, burdened labor rates are applied for all hand assembly and test operator cycle times, and in the case of pick and place our model differentiates regional cost structures. In addition test costs are calculated for devices which are not delivered as finished assemblies (hard drives, optical drives, some pointing devices, 802.11 cards, etc.). Overhead is a percentage calculation based on total cost of the device.
In terms of complexity of the device - we know laptops to be inherently complex and dense. Manufacturing costs for more densely configured devices in inevitably higher than such products as desktops where assembly is facilitated and costs reduced by not having to resort to more sophisticated, costly and complex systems for such things as interconnect (flex, PCBs, etc.). Furthermore, higher density PCBs cost inherently more, as typically this affects board layer counts, via structures and complexity, etc.
We tend to use component counts as the one measurable and clearly defined 'metric' by which we can compare and judge the relative complexity of devices and comment as to where a given device fits in the spectrum of overall manufacturing cost and complexity between devices. One point of comparison we do have, albeit a bit dated, is the entry-level Dell Insipron 1200. That device featured a total component count of 1872 discrete components. Given the way we account for some assemblies as lineitems (hard drives, displays, etc.) this count is not exhaustive.
Nonetheless, this model features a total component count of 1595 components - slightly less than the Lenovo ThinkPad R60e Laptop which we are analyzing in parallel and is functionally nearly identical to this HP/Compaq. The Lenovo ThinkPad R60e comes in at 1929 components.
- Intel - LF80538NE0201M - Intel Celeron M Processor 410, 1.46GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 533MHz, 65nm Process
- Intel - QG82940GML - Northbridge - Memory Controller and Graphics Hub
- Intel - NH82801GBMICH7-M - Southbridge - ICH7 I/O Controller Hub
I/O & Interface
- I/O Controller - SMSC - ASIC
- Ethernet Controller - Broadcom - BCM4401KFBG
- Codec / Audio - Analog Devices - AD1981HDJSTZ - HD Audio SoundMAX, S/PDIF Output
- PC Card Controller - Texas Instruments - PCI4512 - PCI-to-CardBus
- SO-DIMM - Qimonda - HYS64T64020HDL-3.7-B - DDR2 - 512MB, 64Mx64, 266MHz, 4-4-4
- NOR Flash - Macronix - MX25L8005M2C - 8Mb, CMOS, SPI
- EEPROM - Atmel - AT93C46-10SU-2.7 -1Kb, 3-Wire Serial
- Fujitsu - MHV2040BH - 40GB, 2.5', SATA I, 5400RPM, 8MB Buffer
- Toshiba Samsung Storage Technology - TS-L462 - DVD/CD-RW Rom Drive - Slim Internal Type, Drawer Load, EIDE/ATAPI, 8X DVD-ROM Read, 24x10x24x CD-RW
- LG Philips - LP150X08 - 15' TFT LCD, 16 Million Color, 1024x768 (XGA), 304.1mm x 228.1mm Viewable Area, 4:3 Aspect Ratio, 0.297 Pixel Pitch, 200Cd/m2, 250:1 Contrast Ratio, 30ms Response Time
- Broadcom - BCM94311MCG - AIRFORCE 54G, 802.11a/b/g Mini PCIe Card
V.92 Modem Card
- Modem Card - Fax/Modem Data, 56K, V.92 Fax
- Battery - Li-Ion - 10.8V, 4.8Ah, 52Wh
- Dongguang Lite Power - AC Power Adapter - 65W, Input 100-240V ~1.6A, Output 18.5V 3.5A
Common Features Not Found on This Device
- Bluetooth Module(s)
- Camera Module(s)
- Fingerprint Authentication Device(s)