Digital high-speed imaging systems manufacturer Vision Research has unveiled its Phantom T4040 high-speed camera, surpassing the frame rate capabilities of other high-resolution, high-speed cameras and featuring an updated platform that is 50% lighter than the closest equivalent model. The T4040 camera features a groundbreaking back side illuminated (BSI) 2560 x 1664 sensor that maximizes light sensitivity with a peak quantum efficiency over 90%.
Thanks to its 4-megapixel (Mpx) sensor, the T4040 has advantages over cameras with traditional 1-Mpx sensors and can capture fine detail and movement over larger areas. For these reasons, the T4040 is ideal for applications such as:
- Material impact tests. The T4040 improves the accuracy required for tracking elements and debris after the collision.
- Explosives research, including particle trajectories. Thanks to its extreme dynamic range (EDR) feature, the camera also captures key data contained in the bright flash.
- Particle imaging, including time-resolved particle image velocimetry (PIV). The T4040’s high resolution improves data accuracy when processed into a 3D model.
- Small objects. The T4040’s 9.27-micron pixel size is ideal for subjects requiring high magnification. Specific areas of study include insect wing behavior and computer microchip development.
Standout features of the T4040 include EDR, which mitigates the effects of bright flashes, and binning mode, which expands the camera’s use as a 1-Mpx camera. Binning mode combines pixels to achieve 39,000 frames per second (fps) at 1 Mpx and up to 444,000 fps at the very usable resolution of 1280 x 64. The T4040 also includes on-camera controls, video outputs and CineMag capabilities, all of which make it ideal for remote, standalone operation.
Key specifications of the Phantom T4040:
- 4.2-Mpx BSI sensor (2560 x 1664)
- Throughput: 39.8 Gpx/s image capture
- Max frame rate at full resolution: 9,350 fps
- Max frame rate at reduced resolution: 444,400 fps
- Standard and binning modes
- Up to 256 GB of memory
- 10 Gb Ethernet standard
- Compatible with CineMag 5 (up to 8TB)
- Compact and lightweight at 9.4 lbs (4.3kg)