A Washington, D.C.-based provider of drone services to enterprise customers introduced the industry's first training, equipment and support toolkit designed for broadcast news organizations that want to use their own camera crews for drone-based newsgathering. The toolkit joins Measure's turnkey broadcast news service, giving media and broadcast companies the option to outsource all drone operations to Measure's expert pilots or instead leverage the toolkit to capture their own footage.
These options relieve news crews and production managers of drone-related responsibilities ranging from hardware and software selection to airspace permitting, regulatory compliance, insurance coverage, equipment maintenance and repairs, and everyday troubleshooting. The turnkey service has been adopted by major cable and broadcast news organizations, providing broadcast-quality aerial footage of Hurricane Matthew, the 2016 presidential election and other major news events around the world.
The toolkit extends these benefits to media organizations that want to fly drones with their own staff. The package bundles:
- Broadcast-ready drone and camera hardware, including the DJI Inspire 2 and DJI X5S Micro 4/3 camera with interchangeable lenses. Equipment can be either leased or purchased directly from Measure.
- A LiveU Bonded Cellular Uplink enabling live footage to be transmitted directly to the customer's production booth without dependence on a satellite or microwave truck.
- A pilot training program specifically designed for newsgathering and taught by former U.S. military flight instructors, training news crews to minimize risk while flying in challenging environments.
- Pilot, flight operations and equipment tracking, enabling customers to monitor pilot behavior for potentially dangerous flight operations that compromise safety while also capturing flight logs, project metadata and equipment usage that helps determine maintenance schedules.
- Maintenance and repair support from Measure drone engineers, including assistance in the event of a mishap.
- Preferred insurance with significantly discounted premiums as well as optional extra coverages for special events.
- Regulatory support to ensure that news crews know when and where it is safe and legal to fly.
- Help desk assistance via phone or web portal, reducing media company workload by allowing questions about flight operations, regulatory compliance or mechanical issues to be addressed to Measure pilots, flight instructors, drone engineers and regulatory experts.