Acquired Electronics360

Lighting

Philips to Sell Majority Interest in Lighting Unit for $1.5 Billion

12 December 2016

Royal Philips has agreed to sell a majority stake in its light-emitting diode (LED) lighting unit, Lumileds, for $1.5 billion to alternative investment managing house Apollo Global Management.

Apollo will gain 80.1% interest in Lumileds with Philips retaining the remaining 19.9% in the company. Lumileds has an enterprise value of about $2 billion. The transaction is expected to be completed in the first half of 2017 pending regulatory approvals.

Philips says it is selling the stake in Lumileds as part of its strategic focus to transform its portfolio to more of a health technology focus. “Lumileds has been operating as a standalone company within Philips since early 2015,” says Frans van Houten, CEO of Philips. “With Apollo managed funds acquiring a majority interest in Lumileds and partnering with Philips, Lumileds is now well positioned for further growth and value creation, building on its robust innovation pipeline, technology leadership and strong customer base.”

Lumileds is a maker of general illumination, automotive and consumer electronics lighting with more than 9,000 employees in 30 countries worldwide.

To contact the author of this article, email Peter.Brown@ieeeglobalspec.com


Powered by CR4, the Engineering Community

Discussion – 0 comments

By posting a comment you confirm that you have read and accept our Posting Rules and Terms of Use.
Engineering Newsletter Signup
Get the Engineering360
Stay up to date on:
Features the top stories, latest news, charts, insights and more on the end-to-end electronics value chain.
Advertisement
Weekly Newsletter
Get news, research, and analysis
on the Electronics industry in your
inbox every week - for FREE
Sign up for our FREE eNewsletter
Advertisement

CALENDAR OF EVENTS

Date Event Location
30 Nov-01 Dec 2017 Helsinki, Finland
23-27 Apr 2018 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
18-22 Jun 2018 Honolulu, Hawaii
Find Free Electronics Datasheets
Advertisement