Electric vehicles (EVs) are becoming a burgeoning market due to various automotive manufacturers utilizing engineering technologies and producing products that provide alternatives to gasoline and diesel based internal combustion engines (ICEs). EVs mitigate this by utilizing chemical energy that is stored in rechargeable energy packs.
With this, planar magnetics must be able to withstand extreme temperatures, vibrations, and other volatile environments that EVs may be subjected to.
Planar transformers are more prevalent in DC-DC converters, which take high-voltage power from the battery and convert it to low-voltage DC, and the EV on-board charger that takes the power from the wall and rectifies it to DC. And it's not just EVs where SME can solve problems, but also in the ability to utilize our planar transformer designs in high-power applications for buses and other heavy equipment related markets. Our planar transformers are specifically offered in a wide array of ranges and outputs for this particular reason.
The P220 - P900 planar transformer series, with a combined overall 1-30 kW power range has transformed the efficiency for resonance chokes, planar power transformers, and planar output chokes in EV DC/DC converters. This supports the transfer of high-voltage 200-600 V DC from battery to low powernet voltage (14 V DC) and high-current (100A-250 A) power range from 1 to 10 kW providing full-bridge topology operating at a 40-400 kHz frequency.
Additionally, we provide planar transformers for use in EV on-board chargers. The power level is typically 3-10 kW, with an input voltage of 380 V AC, and an output of 204-450 V DC.
Benefits of Planar Technology vs. Wire-Wound
- Low package profile relative to wire-wound equivalent
- Low leakage inductance, extremely efficient high-frequency operation, 98-99% to 40-500 kHz
- Minimum skin effect/flat windings + reduced proximity effect (Low AC losses)
- Excellent repeatability thanks to pre-tooled components
- Easy termination of multiple windings
- Standard outlines compatible with application-specific custom designs
- Lend themselves to sophisticated and effective thermal management
- Volumetric efficiency (small size)
- Low turns count improves Cu loss
- Optimized core cross section lowers core loss
- Large core surface area promotes heat transfer
- Reliable PCB construction
Our custom and standard planars serve a diverse amount of power ranges with low, medium, and high frequencies.
To provide the best possible planar transformer and inductor information, please fill out our custom planar transformer and planar inductor request forms.
Learn more about our Partner | Solve | Deliver ® via customer focused engineering solutions by clicking here.